USS Midway Museum Fact Sheet
To become the nation’s West Coast symbol of American strength, freedom and peace as a naval aviation museum.
Download Media Photos
Commissioned a week after the end of World War II, the USS Midway embarked on an unprecedented 47-year odyssey that set new standards in naval aviation. More than 225,000 Americans took part in the odyssey that ended after Midway served as the Persian Gulf flagship in Desert Storm. Longest-serving U.S. Navy carrier of the 20th century and largest ship in the world, 1945-1955.
- Self-guided audio tour featuring Midway veterans as narrators included with each admission. Available in English, Spanish and Japanese. Sample clips from the audio tour:
- Life at Sea
- 13,500 Meals a Day
- A Stay in the Brig
- SBD Pilot Memories
- Optional flight simulators ($6-$16). Options include motion simulation on a Desert Storm mission and Air Combat 360 which features pilot-controlled rolls, spins and somersaults while flying a mission.
- A youth sleepover program for non-profit youth organizations
- Comprehensive education program in Midway University, hosting more than 40,000 K-12 students annual with curriculum-sanctioned, hands-on math and science labs and field trip activities
- More than 60 exhibits from boiler to bridge, including 29 restored aircraft
- Virtual video tour for limited-access exhibits
- Elevator access onto the ship and to second deck and flight deck
- Interactive videos, climb-aboard aircraft, ejection-seat theatre
- Gift Shop
- Early-bird docent-led tours
- Wheelchair Access: elevators available from Navy Pier to hangar deck, second deck and flight deck. Virtual video tour of limited-access exhibits shown continuously on the flight deck.
- Parking: Paid parking available on Navy Pier; public transit stops are only 3 blocks away
Awards & Recognition
- Most-visited floating ship museum in the world: 4.1 million visitors in 5 years (2004-2009).
- First museum in the country to receive the Preserve America Presidential Award in a Rose Garden Ceremony
- Included in msn.com’s “Top 50 Museums of America”
- Called the “gold standard of aircraft carrier museums” by The Boston Globe
- Seen on: History Channel, Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, FOX’s Hannity & Colmes, Monday Night Football, Australia’s “Today Show,” among others
- More than 100,000 square feet available.
- 2005 Event Venue of the Year in a national meeting planner poll
- 285 events held in 2007, reservations accepted up to three years in advance
Location & Hours
- 910 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101 (alongside Navy Pier)
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, (Thanksgiving and Christmas excepted)
Ticket booth closes at 4 p.m.
- $19 Adults
- $16 Seniors (62+)
- $15 Students (13-17 or w/ college ID)
- $10 Retired Military (with valid ID)
- $10 Youth (ages 6-12)
- $18 Adults
- $15 Seniors (62+)
- $14 Students (13-17 or w/ college ID)
- $9 Retired Military (with valid ID)
- $9 Youth (ages 6-12)
For More Information