We are excited to support Cox’s effort to bridge the digital divide. Cox collaborates with Connect2Compete and Computers 2 SD Kids to help families with children on the National School Lunch Program receive discount Internet service and computers.
Access to technology at home is critical to a student’s education & future
- 80% of jobs are now listed online instead of in newspapers.
- 50% of today’s jobs require technology skills, and this percentage is expected to grow to 77% in the next decade.
- Students with a PC and Internet access at home have graduation rates that are 6-8% higher than similar students who don’t have access.
- Less than half of low-income K-12 students have Internet access at home compared to more than 90 percent of higher-income families.
Connect2Compete (C2C) is a national nonprofit initiative aimed at narrowing the digital divide by providing low-cost Internet service, computer, training and content solutions for disadvantaged communities. In San Diego, Cox Communications partners with C2C and Computers 2 SD Kids to bring these tools to students and their families to help them succeed.
This program features:
- Internet service by Cox
- $9.95 High-speed Internet for guaranteed 2 years (5Mbps/1Mbps)
- Free installation & modem rental, no deposit & no contract
- Discount computers from Computers 2 SD Kids
- $80 desktop
- Includes Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe and PowerMyLearning software
- 1-year limited free technical support
- Families with at least 1 child receiving free lunch in the National School Lunch Program
- Live in a Cox service area
- Have not subscribed to Cox Internet in last 90 days
- Do not have any outstanding past-due payments to Cox
- Students, parents and teachers also can access computer literacy tips, educational resources, tutorials, games and more through the Cox Digital Academy.