Congratulations to our Pillars of Freedom!
In 2017, the Midway Foundation awarded more than $450,000 to 25 non-profit organizations that serve active-duty military personnel and their families; veterans; and law enforcement.
Grant recipients feature 19 local San Diego organizations and 6 national organizations receiving grants from $5,000 to $35,000 that support a wide array of projects and programs ranging from making emergency financial assistance available to military families in crisis to advanced manufacturing training for service members transitioning to civilian life to purchasing special body armor for police officers.
Grants totaling $191,000 support active-duty family service organizations for youth development, licensed clinical counseling, liaison services to community resources, college scholarships, civilian transition programs, family financial crisis support, emergency food assistance, and for a program that enables active-duty personnel stationed overseas to read books to family members back home.
Several veteran-serving organizations received a total of $225,000 for job training, critical home repairs, wreath placement at national cemeteries, and to support health/safety net services and housing for homeless veterans.
An additional $40,000 was awarded to provide body armor designed to protect peace officers from high-powered weapon fire and to provide ballistic vests for law enforcement working dogs.
2017 Pillars of Freedom Grant Recipients
- ASYMCA – Camp Pendleton – Youth Development & Enrichment
- ASYMCA – San Diego – Clinical Counseling
- Habitat for Humanity – Veteran Home Repair
- Horse of the Sun Ranch – Therapy for Military & Veterans
- Interfaith Community Services – Housing & Safety Net Services
- MCRD Museum Foundation – Military/veteran Support & Networking
- Naval Helicopter Association – National Scholarship Fund
- Reboot – Homeless Veteran Training
- San Diego Big Brothers/Big Sisters – 1:1 Military Mentoring
- San Diego Food Bank – Emergency Food Assistance
- San Diego Grantmakers: Homeless Veteran Navigator
- San Diego Military Outreach – Staffing for Emergency Food Assistance
- San Diego Police Foundation – Anti-rifle Fire Armor
- San Diego Veterans Day Parade – Parade Costs
- SEAL Family Foundation – Emergency Funds for Children
- Spike’s K-9 Fund – Ballistic Vests for Working Dogs
- Support the Enlisted Project (STEP) – Emergency Financial Assistance
- Tailhook Educational Foundation – National Scholarship Fund
- The New Children’s Museum – Military Family Programs
- The Rosie Network – Train Transitioning Veterans
- United Through Reading – Books & Program Costs
- USO San Diego – Teen Counseling & Support
- Veterans Museum at Balboa Park – Military Family Program
- Veterans Village San Diego – Case Management & Housing
- Warrior Foundation – Freedom Station – Injured Warrior Travel & Basic Needs
- Workshops for Warriors – Advanced Training for Veterans
- Wreaths Across America – Local Wreath-Laying Ceremonies
- Zero8Hundred – Military-to-civilian Transition
2016 Pillars of Freedom Grant Recipients
- Armed Services YMCA – Camp Pendleton
- Armed Services YMCA – San Diego
- Interfaith Community Services
- National Veterans Transition Services, Inc.
- San Diego Military Advisory Council
- San Diego Police Foundation
- Support the Enlisted Project
- United Through Reading
- USO Council of San Diego
- Veterans Village of San Diego
Thank you again for the very generous grant the USS Midway Foundation made to zero8hundred! 'It would have been a lot harder for people like me to transition if it wasn’t for this program, very helpful
This is a highly impactful way that the Midway Museum, as a successful non-profit and fifth most-popular museum of any kind in the U.S., can support organizations that are aligned with our mission and that support those who serve as pillars of ...
United Through Reading saved the night yesterday. Baby girl was crying and screaming for her Daddy, and it broke my heart. So I let her stay up and watch videos of Daddy reading. My children are too young to read emails, so United Through Readi...
With STEP’s primary focus being emergency financial assistance, this grant further strengthens our ability to assist young military families break out of a financial crisis as they develop budgeting and self-sufficiency skills.