Live Video Series with Karl Zingheim
Meet Karl Zingheim, the Ship Historian of the USS Midway Museum. A San Diego native, Karl graduated from the U. S. Naval Academy in 1986. Following his naval service, he helped establish the Exhibits Department for the USS Midway Museum and now serves as the staff historian. As an early advocate for Midway’s establishment, Karl has been with the Museum for over twenty years – and as a specialist in naval history, has appeared on the History Channel, television series “Dogfights!” and many more documentaries.
Get ready to hear the stories of naval aviation and history first-hand from this bonafide history expert in our new livestream web series entitled, Destination: Midway with Historian, Karl!
Next Episode: 30th Anniversary of Operation Desert Storm
Join us for the next livestream on Feb. 5 at 12:30 pm PST.
Join Ship Historian, Karl Zingheim on Feb. 5 at 12:30 p.m. for the next Destination Midway livestream! In honor of the 30th Anniversary of Operation Desert Storm, Karl will interview U.S. Senator Mark Kelly who flew 39 combat missions over Iraq as well as other special guest veterans who played key roles in ensuring victory during the Gulf War. You will not want to miss this history relived!
Email us your questions ahead of time so that Karl can answer your question live!
EPISODE 1 - Victory in the Pacific
EPISODE 2 - How Midway Was Built
EPISODE 3 - Veterans Day Special
SHARE YOUR MESSAGE WITH US
Thank you for watching. Leave Karl a comment below!
Karl's Korner Latest Blog Posts
Read monthly historical blogs by Midway’s Ship Historian, Karl Zingheim.
- Devotion: From Adversity to Valor and Sacrifice- and Film
- Midway Leads the Fight During Operation Desert Storm
- The Mysterious Disappearance of Navy Flight 19
- Summer of 1945: The Dawn of an Era
- The Odyssey of the Navy’s Enlisted Medical Titles
- “Hannah”—the Other Carrier in the Fall of Saigon
- American Women in World War II
- The Midway’s Skeleton Crew – Revisited
- The USS Mason: Another Step in Wartime Desegregation
- 1945: The Crucial Year
- Welcoming the TBD Devastator
- The Beginning: 15 Years of Midway
- A Wing and a Half and a Prayer
- The World’s Largest Carrier Battle
- National Donut Day: Origins
- The Anniversary of Operation Frequent Wind
- Vern Jumper Remembers Operation Frequent Wind
- Douglas SBD Dauntless
- Admiral Lawrence Chambers: The Pathfinder
- Gone With the Waves: Midway’s Aircraft Elevator
- Midway’s S-3 Viking
- Midway’s Operation Fiery Vigil
- Midway’s Angled Deck
- USS Midway’s New Year’s Rhymes
- Line-Crossing Traditions
- Spirits of the Midway
- Jobs Aboard Midway
- Visual Signaling at Sea
- The Korean War — Carrier Aviation’s Bittersweet Conflict
- The Best Naval Aviation Library Afloat