Thank you for your interest in employment at the USS Midway Museum.
Some of the benefits the USS Midway Museum offers regular full-time employees are:
- Company-paid Health and Dental Insurance
- Company-paid Life and LTD insurance
- Vacation, Sick and Holiday Pay
- 403(b) Plan with match
- Paid On-site Parking
- Discounts at Midway Marketplace
- Merchandise Discounts in Jet Shop
- Free Admission to participating San Diego Museums
- A unique work environment that emphasizes self-starters, fun, inspiration, service to country and a work/life balance.
The USS Midway Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
Due to the high number of responses, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please.
Click the available positions below for a full description of this opportunity.
SAN DIEGO, CA
Ships Electrical Systems Technician
The USS Midway Museum is seeking a ship/maritime electrical systems technician with a minimum of 5 years of experience in maritime and industrial electrical systems. In addition to requirements listed below, candidates should also be interested in working in a highly collaborative fun and customer focused environment, appreciate volunteer service, enjoy problem solving and be passionate about making an impact at work. A relatively young and small organization, the Midway provides an excellent opportunity for staff to experience ownership of their work and see immediate results of their efforts while also enjoying a balanced work/life.
The Ships Engineering Department Electrical Technician will be a USS MIDWAY Electrical Technical Subject Matter Expert/POC for ship wide electrical systems, ranging from high voltage systems (440, 220) supporting aircraft elevators, ship lighting, high voltage power load centers to simple 110 systems (lighting, plug outlets).
Schedule is primarily second shift and weekends.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Support/work with other ship electricians to maintain internal and external lighting. This includes coordination with events and event power set-up with outside vendors. Internal and external lighting or associated amplified power support. Prior experience with convention or public venues requiring power to caterers, hotels and concert support companies strongly desired.
- Support/work with ship electricians to trouble shoot/repair critical points of electrical distribution throughout the ship (switchboards, transformers, fuses and wiring).
- Support engineering staff when operating/troubleshooting power to ship aircraft elevators, cargo dumbwaiter elevator, passenger elevators and magazine weapons elevators.
- Understand USS MIDWAY unique electrical system and coordinate efforts when contractors are onboard installing new electrical system, modifying existing systems or troubleshooting and repairing degraded systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. required. College degree strongly desired.
- Marine journeyman, Navy Electrician’s Mate, utility plant electrician.
- 5 years of experience and qualifications in maritime and industrial electrical systems, procedural compliance and safety requirements in a high voltage electricity and handling of hazardous material and power supplies.
- Knowledge in ship/maritime electrical systems that are built into hull structures, compartments, engineering systems, structural design and equipment.
- Technical knowledge and ability to read ships electrical drawings, one lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, diesel generators, fire/smoke control systems, analyze new construction loads that will be connected to existing original systems onboard USS MIDWAY. Meticulous ship repair skills.
- Computer skills to include proficiency in MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Can create clear and concise instructions as well as provide clear and detailed guidance to subordinates.
- Accurate and detail oriented.
- Ability to deal effectively with deadlines and time pressures.
- Self-motivated and problem solve without supervision. Exercise outstanding initiative.
- Team player – ready and willing to help wherever needed or assigned. Can provide constructive feedback in a calm and factual manner to senior leadership/management.
- Demonstrates an organizational fit for the company culture.
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of individuals in a professional manner.
- Be trustworthy to handle high value equipment and highly valuable recyclable material.
- Ability to work weekend and evening hours.
- Job Conditions/Work Location: Working onboard a former Navy Aircraft Carrier in all weather conditions.
- Physical Requirements: Constant climbing up/down stairs and ladders up to 200ft elevation; work in small places i.e. tanks and voids, bend stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull/push lift, and carry up to 40 pounds; reach both above and below shoulder height.
- Equipment Operated: Aircraft elevator, fork lift, man lift, buffer/scrubber, pallet jack, sand blaster, small power tools and janitorial equipment.